Thursday, October 29, 2015

Feelin' free...in Kaua'i

Kaua'i, Kaua'i, Kaua'i - oh how I do love this Hawaiian island. Known as the garden isle, Kaua'i was formed by volcanoes and is the oldest of the main islands. It really is the garden of Eden with it's lush, green plants, flamboyant flowers and vast array of delicious tropical fruits growing in abundance. The warm sea and golden sands aren't too shoddy either. And if that's still not enough to tickle you, there's the epic Waimea Canyon right in the middle and several national parks that are all just stunning.  Driving around the island, there is an ongoing stream of natural beauty that draws your attention.

Waimea Canyon

To top that off, the weather is wonderfully sunny and warm with a refreshing amount of rain to keep the plants nice and healthy. Fascinatingly the weather changes hugely around different parts of the island, many of which have their own micro climate.  There is even one place that holds the record for the wettest spot on earth and the most rain in one hour - I actually avoided this place as it I felt I'd already had my fair share of rain in England.

Anyway as you can imagine adjusting to island life was tough. Somehow I managed!

In my first week everything was super surreal and of course very exciting. Not only was I back to tropical paradise and free time, I was also reunited with Scott, who I'd not seen for 2.5 years since the last visit to Kaua'i where I'd left an unfolding romance, that, for the most part, I'd let go of any attachment to, given he lives in LA and I live in London. The distance felt like too much of a barrier, teamed with the fact we'd only ever seen each other in India and Hawaii in our free spirit, holiday mode, which meant our time together always just felt like the best ever dream.

This was technically only our third meeting in four and a half years, though we both found that every time we met, it felt like no time has passed and we could pick up right where we left off. Better still, in the time we'd spent apart, we were both just doing our own things, growing stronger as individuals, not needing to cling to the other person, just wishing them the best from afar. The best kind of relationship.

The palm trees of Kaua'i

Scott could stay on the island with me for two months before having to return to work. I would then have the last month of the trip alone, which I looked forward to. It felt crazy, but also weirdly normal, to suddenly be spending all of our time together and it was just great to have this positive, adventurous, caring, funny (handsome yay) presence back in my life. So I felt very lucky for the double blessing of wonderful island and wonderful company. What more could you want?

I honestly was already on cloud nine and thought it couldn't get any better, but Scott kept assuring me the best part was yet to come.  The adventures were yet to begin and I was about to experience a whole new way of living.....

No comments:

Post a Comment