Monday, November 2, 2015

Paradise on earth

What if I told you that paradise on earth really does exist? That there is the most beautiful of valleys filled with rich jungle, situated by a white sandy beach, bursting with nature, abundant with food, where you can drink the water straight from the rivers and where there are no dangerous predators and the weather is just great for outdoor living....... Where there is a sense of community, with people caring for one another and living in harmony with nature; not taking too much without giving back, ensuring the environment is clean and treated with respect by passing visitors. Where people live by the sun (as there is no electricity), time slows down (as there are no clocks), where every waterfall is a handy shower (as the water is so clean) and where there is no pollution or traffic (as there are no roads).


Just a dream or was it a reality? 
I am fortunate enough to have been taken to this magical valley by Scott who lived there for three months during his last trip and insisted I go.  I was somewhat apprehensive given I would be heading into the middle of nowhere without any phone or internet signal, or road access with a man I'd not seen for two years.  On top of that, living in the jungle sounded pretty hardcore and I wondered what kind of community would be living there.  How would they be organised? Would I still have my privacy? Would it be a commune of crazy hippies avoiding the real world!?

Yet, it was adventure that I wanted from my time away:  I knew I could trust Scott from the short time we'd spent together on our previous trips and so I felt in safe hands and took a leap of faith into the unknown.  I just hoped no one would worry about me given I would not have any contact for a while but I made sure I warned the family of my absence to avoid any concern and they were surprisingly relaxed, having grown used to me going off radar from time to time.


Full of history and ancient ways of living
The valley was previously home to the ancient Hawaiians and was an abundant food growing region.  We learnt that in it's hey day the valley was producing enough food to feed thousand of people on the nearby islands. You can still see the remains of the ancient, stony terraces throughout the valley which they built to grow and irrigate their crops of bananas, taro and fruit trees. They are now very much overgrown by trees and bushes but it is incredible to think that this peaceful jungle was once a bustling home to many families and you still find food growing everywhere you go once you learn to recognise what is edible.

We spent a total of five weeks here, leaving once after three weeks in order to stock up on supplies and recover from injuries and ailments, which you notice so much more living outside. Five weeks genuinely felt like about three months. Life becomes so much more spacious when you are just making sure you have the basics - food, water, shelter, good company, warmth. I find this way of life to be deeply satisfying and the beauty of the place is that you leave the valley full of life, charged with energy or 'mana' as they call it in Hawaiian. The challenge and adventure will be bringing this spirit of simplicity and sharing, back to the everyday living experience.

The valley is one of the few places on earth that I know of where it really is possible to live off the land, be completely off grid and live outside all year round. There is nothing better for the soul than spending all of your time outside, rising with the sun, staying fit from the physical activity required to live in this way ( collecting wood, trekking to get food, washing clothes in the river etc ) and going to bed when the sun has set. There were no dangerous animals to be concerned about, the wild animals were goats, pigs and feral cats. The most harmful creature was a stinging centipede which we never encountered. Nature provided us with it's own entertainment; our version of tv was watching the sun set and looking up at the sky packed full of more stars than I have ever seen. All of this with the ocean soundtrack in the background.


Energetic Charge
The valley is said to be highly charged with an intense form of energy or 'Mana'. Local legend says that the intense energy manifests in different forms depending on the people that are visiting and their state of being. For example, it is not uncommon for relationship break ups to happen within a few day of arriving in the valley, when couples are finally away from their creature comforts and routines and are facing just one another au natural.  For those who don't want to be there, and there are a few (those dragged along by friends, or those with injuries) it can be utter torture with no distraction, just your own thoughts and can certainly send you pretty loopy! Others develop an incredible knowledge of how to navigate the jungle, barefoot jumping across the rocks, up steep slopes and hopping across the rivers, mastering the art of flourishing in the jungle.

Whatever your beliefs, it makes a lot of sense as things are always more intense when contained in a small, isolated area, away from distraction. However other also frequently accredit the strong energy to the spiritual force of the island, creating a visceral feeling of high energy.  I most certainly experienced this for myself, often times feeling super charged and alive and bursting with ideas. For a few weeks I found it hard to fall asleep in the valley as my mind was whirring away and my body was just not ready to sleep. However it's hard not to feel charged when you live so much in nature, in the moment, nourished by the sun.

For me the intensity and energy came in the form of musical expression which was just so exciting. I ended up writing nearly an albums worth of songs, pretty good for someone who wasn't intending to write. I actually had hoped to facilitate singing workshops, my passion in England, but this never quite happened for many reasons.  Yet I am so grateful for that burst of creativity with songs just coming to me and then having the time to develop my singing and guitar playing to a level where I felt comfortable performing and sharing these songs. I so much enjoyed people asking me to play for them as I find it one of the most satisfying ways of being.


My time in the valley gave me many gifts and experiences to learn from but I now truely believe that whatever may come in life I can take solace in my singing and guitar playing, and in writing my own music. I can literally have the right song for any emotion or situation I encounter. Songs are also wonderful reminders of past events, ways to celebrate, give gratitude - whatever is needed I can create. So it really was a very inspiring time and I am pleased that my songs are a good mixture of styles, moods and topics. For a glimpse of my songs, see my you tube videos, unfortunately the sounds is not great due to wind and helicopters but it gives you an idea.  More to come in the future......

In every little thing -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1ng9ClqYZI

If these trees -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-G_yCm6Frg


No comments:

Post a Comment