Thursday, November 5, 2015

The adventure is in the journey

The valley remains relatively quiet as you can't get there by road, the options are limited to hiking, boating and going by helicopter.  I enjoyed travelling in different forms, each of which had it's own charms (and drawbacks!)


We travel not to escape life, 
but for life not to escape us'

Hiking it up
The 11 mile hike is not for the faint hearted taking about eight hours over treacherous terrain and requires the weather conditions to be just right.  However if you can manage it, it's got stunning views and is very rewarding to finish. We hiked out of the Valley at the end of our trip, a great way to gradually transition back to 'reality', yet I still don't quite understand how I managed it but am proud to know I can push myself when I need to.

The stunning beach

No, actually I take that back....... the secret was beef jerky.  If you ask anyone that knows me well this would surprise them as I very much eat a vegeterian diet at home and never buy meat.  However living in the jungle my vegetarianism went somewhat out of the window and I knew that in order to finish that hike I needed a constant supply of salty meat to get my protein and salt.  Scott had a difficult job of wrestling the jerky away from me and it was nearly the source of our first argument!

We completed the hike in one day, with Scott and I both carrying a large rucksack on our back and a smaller pack on our fronts.  Most people hike out with as little as possible, giving away any remaining food they have and leaving behind large items such as tents.  I on the other hand often find myself not taking the easiest option, and so I even carried out my guitar on my back as I couldn't bring myself to leave it behind. Despite it being thoroughly battered, it just had too many good memories and I had gotten so used to playing it.  For some reason I also decided it would be good to hike out a bottle of home brewed Java plum wine made by one of the residence of the valley who has lived there over 25 years.  Not practical to be carrying litres of liquid (other than water) but I thought it would be a good gift for my parents and was determined enough to do it.  Needless to say the wine actually got drunk way before I made it back to England.

Half way through the hike and somehow we are still smiling

The hike is such a challenge because you have to carry anything on your person that you want to take and you're battling the tropical rain.  Kaua'i has an array of unusual and unique  micro climates and the hike passes through a notoriously wet region, where it is constantly raining and nearly the whole first half of the hike, you are literally moving at snails pace as you have to watch your every step on the slippery rocks, which are coated in mud, and watch out for the narrow ledges with rocks crumbling away at your feet by a sheer drop. The second half is much easier, but by that point you are already totally drenched and pretty exhausted.

There is also a notorious river crossing, famous for the amount of people that have lost their lives there and this is one of the reasons the hike is rated as one of the world's most dangerous. A tally on a rock indicates at least eighty deaths, but it's likely to be more. The river can look fine to cross but if you fall in when the water is too high, the river just sweep you away in one fowl swoop and you'll be bashed against the many rocks, never to be seen again.

I got a taste of the river's power filling up my water bottle. I slipped forwards dropping my water bottle into the river and toppling forwards, landing on my front pack, which was bulky enough to wedge me between two boulders. Had it not been for that bag, I would have been floating head first down the river. The water bottle lid was forever lost but luckily I wasn't hurt and escaped with just a lot of wet clothes, wet shoes (which would be impossible to keep dry anyway as you are forced to walk through some proper muddy puddles) and a slightly bruised ego. Thankfully Scott also fell in which meant I didn't feel so silly!

Crawlers ledge - watch your step here!

The hike is an excellent meditation and test of patience but not something you want to try if you have any sort of injury or are feeling unwell. It does however act a very effective security measure to deter the masses from flocking to this special place as it is such a challenge.

Boat
You can also boat into the valley.  This option is not strictly legal, but some friendly, local Hawaiians run an operation which means you can avoid the long, exhausting hike and be there in just one and a half hours. Nearly every day there will be a boat dropping off and picking up those who don't have the heart to hike. It comes at a high price - $100 per trip, but we found it to be the best way to bring in a decent stockpile of basic supplies to allow us to stay for weeks at a time. It ends up being fairly cheap overall as once you are living in the valley, you have no use for money; it is obsolete as there is nowhere to spend it. If you do need something, you are most likely to get it by trading with other longer term campers who always want chocolate, coffee, honey, flour and of course tobacco so they don't have to hike out to get it.

The boat ride in also made it far easier to bring in the beloved travel guitar which I would not have been without. However the guitar certainly took a beating, as the waves in Hawaii are so powerful that, even in the guitar case, it was pummeled into the ground. Thank god for the invention that is duck tape. "Fuck it, just duck it" as one of my new travel companions would say and thus the cracks were covered by two bit of duck tape. During our trip duck tape also served as the best and only real way of covering up wounds that would otherwise so easily be infected, preventing water, sand, dust, mud, anything from getting in. I rocked the duck tape around ankle look for a good few days.

Duck tape does the trick nicely

A truely surreal and magical experience was boating in with one of the big Hawaiian chiefs (big in all senses of the word) who loved pointing out various caves and parts of the trail. Suddenly, out of nowhere, we were boating through a flock of dolphins. It was so exciting! Suddenly there were three dolphins swimming together just meters from the boat with several more in the distance - it really was beautiful.

Another adventure was having to jump off the boat and swim to shore with our many bags.  Prior to setting off we sealed everything we wanted to take with us into ziplock bags to keep it dry.  Once on the boat, we put each rucksack into a large black bin liner with a strong knot and then another bin bag for safe measure.  When these were thrown overboard they floated nicely on the waves so that we could bring them to shore.  Amazingly we managed not to lose anything and I was just glad that I managed the swim to the beach as I wasn't sure how difficult it would be.  It was no ride in the park, but equally it was still very manageable.  It was so strange to suddenly be washed up onto a stunning. quiet beach with lots of bags and very little idea of what to expect.

Hooray Freedom!!!!

Helicopter
The final way to get to the valley is helicopter; mainly used only by the rangers, maintenance staff and island tour guides who sweep overhead every morning as part of their 'Jurassic Park' tour but do not stop. So unless you are a millionaire, or in a rescue situation, you are unlikely to encounter this.

If life wasn't already surreal enough living off grid in the jungle, I acclimatised to waking up to the sound of helicopters overhead. Strange to be living in tropical paradise with the daily reminder we are not alone and that the modern world still exists. The loud, helicopters were annoying and would disturb the peace, however  they did serve as a good way of indicating the time as you could be sure that when you heard the first helicopter overhead in the morning that the time was 8am.

These journeys in themselves were quite the adventure.  I guess that getting to paradise was never going to be easy, but the difficulty of getting there is imperative to preserving the beauty of the valley and so I'm all for the epic journeys.


No comments:

Post a Comment